5.03.2009

We are afraid of the wrong things


Spiders, snakes and even clowns- just some of the things people are afraid of. Now don’t get me wrong some of the above mentioned thing can be quite scary (especially the clowns in my case), but are they really that troublesome?

The little Miss Muffets of the world will indicate by scream their terror of spiders but in a world where thousands of people get laid off their job should an itsy bitsy spider the worst of our fears? Shouldn’t we be afraid of things less trivial? I know I am.

I am afraid of not getting employed once I’m done with my degree. I fear for our country and what will become of it after the elections. I fear the impact global warming will have on our world. The crime, murder and rape rate in our country and I wonder what will be done about it. I am afraid of not being able to afford a lifestyle I am accustomed to due to the recession. I am afraid of becoming preppy and move to Pleasantville because I didn’t mind the gap (between live as I will live it and live as I was meant to live it).

Still, after all is said and done what I’m afraid of most - right now- is clowns. Is that so wrong?

No comments: